OSC: The largest and most diverse purchasing co-op in Ohio
OSC’s Significant Growth
The OSC, originally the Greater Cleveland Schools Council, was formed 35 years ago to help 50 Greater Cleveland school districts purchase natural gas at a discounted rate. Over the past 35 years, the Council has grown to providing over 30 major programs that serve more than 270 Member school districts in 34 counties across Northern Ohio. This growth has made the OSC the largest and most diverse purchasing co-op in Ohio. This growth has come with tremendous benefit to our members, but also the complexities that are inherent within a large organization.
When the Council was initially formed, the governance structure was built upon the leadership of the superintendents of Member school districts with the active support of the Boards of Education of Member school districts. With only 1 program and only 50 Member school districts, this structure was able to efficiently govern the organization. Today, however, with over 30 major programs, supporting over 270 Member school districts, spread across 34 counties, this structure is less efficient and less flexible in meeting the changing needs of Member school districts.
- The OSC, when originally formed 35 years ago, served 50 Greater Cleveland school districts with one program (Natural Gas).
- The original Governance structure was built upon the active involvement of the Boards of Education of school districts, requiring the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Boards of Education to modify By-laws and some Agreements.
- Today, the Council provides over 30 major programs to over 270 school districts
- The original Governance structure, while efficient to operate 1 program for only 50 school districts, is very inefficient when operating over 30 programs for over 270 school districts.
- The recommended Board Resolution will transfer the Governance responsibility from the Board of Education to the Superintendent of each member school district.
- This Board Resolution was recommended by the OSC Board of Directors and the OSC Assembly of Superintendents.